Supermarkets & Grocery Stores in the US: Market Research Report

Market Research • Market Size • Industry Statistics • Industry Analysis • Industry Trends

Supermarkets & Grocery Stores Market Research Report | NAICS 44511 | Oct 2015

Shopping smart: Increasing premium brand sales and healthy eating trends will spur growth

IBISWorld’s Supermarkets & Grocery Stores market research report provides the latest industry statistics and industry trends, allowing you to identify the products and customers driving revenue growth and profitability. The industry report identifies the leading companies and offers strategic industry analysis of the key factors influencing the market.

Report Snapshot
Industry Statistics & Market Size
Annual Growth 10-15
Annual Growth 15-20
Add to Cart
Add to Cart
Industry Analysis & Industry Trends

The Supermarkets and Grocery Stores industry has grown over the past five years, benefiting from a strengthening domestic economy. As per capita disposable income has grown over this period, some consumers traded up to premium, organic and all-natural brands, helping lift industry revenue. Over the next five years, the industry is anticipated to grow as a result of rising discretionary income, albeit at a more conservative rate than in the previous five-year period. As health concerns intensify, more consumers will seek all-natural and organic products, which are priced at a premium... purchase to read more

Industry Report - Industry Key Buyers Chapter

The Supermarkets and Grocery Stores industry is highly fragmented, with over one-third of enterprises employing less than five workers. Moreover, the top three operators are expected to account for 31.0% of industry revenue in 2015. The remaining share of the market is mainly composed of small and medium-sized operators that cater to local and regional markets. IBISWorld estimates that more than 42,380 operators will actively compete for the remaining 69.0% of market share in 2015. Even though a large portion of businesses operate a single establishment, medium-sized stores are beginning to comprise a larger portion of the market.

Market share concentration has fluctuated over the past five years due to a flurry of mergers and acquisitions... purchase to read more


Industry ProductsRelated ReportsTable of Contents

What is the Supermarkets & Grocery Stores Industry?

The Supermarkets and Grocery Stores industry makes up the largest food retail channel in the United States. Establishments in this industry retail general lines of food products, including fresh and prepared meats, poultry and seafood, canned and frozen foods, fresh fruits and vegetables and various dairy products. Delicatessens primarily retailing food are also included.

Industry Products
Fruit and vegetablesFresh and frozen meatDairy productsBeverages (including alcohol)Frozen foodsOther food itemsOther non-food itemsDrugs and health products
Industry Activities
Retailing a general line of food

View Sample
Select Clients