SEARCH   
MEMBER LOGIN     

Global Coal Mining: Market Research Report

Global Market Research • Global Market Size • Industry Statistics • Industry Analysis • Industry Trends

Global Coal Mining Market Research Report | Sep 2015

The global economy presents its own set of opportunities and threats for businesses in a range of industries. IBISWorld’s Global Coal Mining global market research report provides the latest industry statistics and industry trends, allowing you to identify the products and customers driving revenue growth and profitability. The industry report focuses on industry performance in key regions around the world and identifies the leading companies globally.

Report Snapshot
Market Share of Companies
Coal India Coal India market share
ShenHua Group ShenHua Group market share
Industry Statistics & Forecast
Revenue
$694bn
Annual Growth 10-15
-6.9%
Annual Growth 15-20
Add to Cart
Profit
Add to Cart
Employment ('000)
3,534
Businesses
25,756
Industry Analysis & Industry Trends

Coal continues to play a vital role in global electricity generation markets and, consequently, the industry has recovered strongly from the global recession. While the Global Coal Mining industry's performance suffered during the recession, it rebounded strongly in 2010 and 2011. Despite environmental concerns about coal's high carbon content, countries still heavily rely on coal to provide electricity to their populations. In the coming years, the worldwide output of coal is expected to continue expanding in response to growing demand from electricity generators and steel producers... read more

Industry Locations

The geographic spread of coal production primarily reflects the distribution of coal resources. Total recoverable reserves of coal worldwide stand at about 910 billion metric tons. Black coal accounts for about 83.0% of global coal reserves and brown coal for the remaining 17.0%.

Although coal deposits are widely distributed, about 67.0% of the world's recoverable reserves are located in four countries: the United States (27.0%), Russia (17.0%), China (13.0%) and India (10.0%). Not surprisingly, the regions in which these countries are located (North America, Europe, North Asia, and India and Central Asia, respectively) are the main coal producing areas.

North Asia

The great bulk of North Asia region's coal production comes from China... read more

 


Industry ProductsRelated ReportsTable of Contents

What is the Global Coal Mining Industry?

This industry mines various types of coal. Most coal mines consist of bituminous coal or anthracite (types of black coal), but operators may also mine lignite (brown coal). Mining occurs underground and in surface pits. Industry enterprises may also develop coal mine sites and prepare the coal for sale by washing, screening and sizing it.

Industry Products
Lignite coalThermal coalCoking coal
 
Industry Activities
Bituminous coal and lignite underground miningBituminous coal and lignite surface miningAnthracite mining


Quote
Select Clients