Industry Analysis & Industry Trends
The Dollar and Variety Stores industry capitalized on the recession, attracting more middle-class consumers focused on value over quality as disposable incomes fell. In the next five years, however, IBISWorld expects this countercyclical industry to experience slower growth as operators contend with improved economic conditions. While major players are expected to retain some of the added customers acquired during the recession, smaller companies and single-branch operators are less likely to sustain the revenue growth they experienced in recent years. In the next five years, the industry is expected to mature, consolidating under pressure from traditional rivals such as big box stores... purchase to read more
Industry Report - Industry Key Buyers Chapter
The Dollar and Variety Stores industry exhibits a moderate to high level of concentration, with the top four players anticipated to account for 67.8% of revenue. While the industry is concentrated at the top, the remaining share of the market is mainly composed of small- to medium-size operators catering to localized demand. IBISWorld estimates that 7,187 companies will actively compete for the remaining 32.2% of the market in 2015.
Industry concentration has risen in the five years to 2015. In 2010, the same top four players, Dollar General, Family Dollar Stores, Dollar Tree Stores and Big Lots, accounted for about 62.5% of the total revenue... purchase to read more