SEARCH   
MEMBER LOGIN    

Supermarkets & Grocery Stores in the US: Market Research Report

Market Research • Market Size • Industry Statistics • Industry Analysis • Industry Trends

Supermarkets & Grocery Stores Market Research Report | NAICS 44511 | Jan 2014

Trading up: Increasing premium brand sales are expected to benefit industry revenue

IBISWorld’s Supermarkets & Grocery Stores market research report can be used to help you: understand market size and growth potential; major companies; draft business plans and pitch books; and conduct benchmarking and SWOT analysis. Our industry analysis highlights macro industry trends in the overall sector and micro trends faced by companies that do business in the industry. The industry report also provides key industry statistics and 5-year forecasts to anticipate future industry prospects so you can decide with confidence.

Report Snapshot
Industry Statistics & Market Size
Revenue
$522bn
Annual Growth 09-14
-0.4%
Annual Growth 14-19
Add to Cart
Profit
Add to Cart
Employment
2,274,948
Businesses
35,761
Industry Analysis & Industry Trends

Throughout the next five years, demand for the Supermarkets and Grocery Stores industry should slightly increase, generating a steady stream of revenue. As the economy recovers and household disposable income further expands, consumers will increase purchases of premium-brands and private-label brands, which should increase the average transaction sizes for grocery stores... purchase to read more

Industry Report - Industry Key Buyers Chapter

The Supermarkets and Grocery Stores industry has a low-level of concentration, with the top four players accounting for 29.9% of revenue. The remaining share of the market is mainly composed of small to medium-sized players that cater to local demand. IBISWorld estimates that more than 35,000 companies will actively compete for the remaining 70.1% of market share in 2014.

During the past five years, growing market share concentration was mainly driven by increases in household disposable income, causing consumers to increase purchases at grocery stores and supermarkets. Also, a strategy used to grow market share was through mergers and acquisitions. For example, Kroger grew its market share by acquiring eight stores from Schnucks, a grocery chain based in St. Louis in 2011... purchase to read more

 


Industry ProductsRelated ReportsTable of Contents

What is the Supermarkets & Grocery Stores Industry?

The Supermarkets and Grocery Stores industry makes up the largest food retail channel in the United States. Establishments in this industry retail general lines of food products, including fresh and prepared meats, poultry and seafood, canned and frozen foods, fresh fruits and vegetables and various dairy products. Delicatessens primarily retailing food are also included.

Industry Products
Fruit and vegetablesFresh and frozen meatDairy productsBeverages (including alcohol)Frozen foodsOther food itemsOther non-food itemsDrugs and health products
 
Industry Activities
Retailing a general line of food


View Sample
Quote
Select Clients