Hardware Stores in the US: Market Research Report

Market Research • Market Size • Industry Statistics • Industry Analysis • Industry Trends

Hardware Stores Market Research Report | NAICS 44413 | Jul 2015

Home improvement: Housing market recovery fuels continued rebound in demand for hardware

IBISWorld’s Hardware Stores market research report can be used to help you: understand market size and growth potential; major companies; draft business plans and pitch books; and conduct benchmarking and SWOT analysis. Our industry analysis highlights macro industry trends in the overall sector and micro trends faced by companies that do business in the industry. The industry report also provides key industry statistics and 5-year forecasts to anticipate future industry prospects so you can decide with confidence.

Report Snapshot
Market Share of Companies
Industry Statistics & Market Size
Annual Growth 10-15
Annual Growth 15-20
Add to Cart
Add to Cart
Industry Analysis & Industry Trends

The Hardware Stores industry has steadily recovered from the hammering it endured during the recession. As the housing market has become healthier and consumers have been more confident, individuals have increasingly returned to improving and updating their homes. Low mortgage rates have also enabled many individuals to become homeowners, which increased demand for industry products. In the five years to 2020, the recovering housing market and increased spending on home improvement projects will help boost industry demand. However, persistent competition from external sources, including big-box retailers and home improvement stores will keep profit margins low... purchase to read more

Industry Report - Industry Key Buyers Chapter

The Hardware Stores industry experiences a medium level of concentration. The top four players in the industry account for 64.0% of industry revenue. True Value, Ace Hardware, Do it Best Corporation and United Hardware Distribution Company are industry leaders and operate as co-ops which means most of their stores are independently owned. The remaining 36.0% of the market is made up of small, mostly local stores. About 42.6% of enterprises employ fewer than five people. The industry faces increasing competition from home improvement stores (IBISWorld report 44411) which have forced many small operators to merge, close down or be taken over by larger companies (in either industry)... purchase to read more


Industry ProductsRelated ReportsTable of Contents

What is the Hardware Stores Industry?

Companies in this industry primarily retail a broad range of new home renovation equipment and supplies. Hardware, plumbing, electrical and paint-related tools are the most commonly stocked goods.

Industry Products
Hardware, tools, plumbing and electrical suppliesLawn, garden and farm suppliesPaint and sundriesLumber and other building materials
Industry Activities
Retailing hardwareRetailing tools and equipmentRetailing plumbing fixtures and fittingsRetailing electrical suppliesRetailing paint and suppliesRetailing garden products and equipment

View Sample
Select Clients