SEARCH   
MEMBER LOGIN    

Institutional Pharmacies in the US: Market Research Report

Market Research • Market Size • Industry Statistics • Industry Analysis • Industry Trends

Institutional Pharmacies Market Research Report | Life Sciences | Healthcare Services | Mar 2014

Active immunity: Despite industry consolidation, the growing aging population will spur growth

IBISWorld’s Institutional Pharmacies market research report is a comprehensive guide to market size and growth prospects. Our industry reports offer strategic industry analysis of the factors influencing companies, including new product developments, economic, lifestyle and demographic influences, distribution and supply chain factors and pricing issues. Full analysis accompanies our data forecasts to illustrate how the market responds to emerging industry trends.

Report Snapshot
Market Share of Companies
Omnicare Inc. Omnicare Inc.  market share
PharMerica Corporation PharMerica Corporation market share
Industry Statistics & Market Size
Revenue
$14bn
Annual Growth 09-14
-1.5%
Annual Growth 14-19
Purchase to read more
Profit
Purchase to read more
Employment
58,840
Businesses
1,519
Industry Analysis & Industry Trends

As primary providers of pharmaceutical distribution and services to hospitals and other healthcare institutions, the Institutional Pharmacies industry is highly dependent on Medicare funding to support revenue growth. Despite a rise in demand for industry services, and subsequently, the higher sales volumes, shrinking Medicare reimbursements in recent years caused the industry to experience significant revenue loss in 2012 and 2013. However, the industry is expected to perform positively in the five years to 2019 as a result of changing demographics, the continued effects of healthcare reform and expansion of the industry's clinical services.... purchase to read more

Industry Report - Industry Key Buyers Chapter

The Institutional Pharmacies industry has a medium level of concentration with the two-largest players accounting for an estimated 49.0% of industry revenue. The remaining 51.0% of the industry is highly fragmented, with the third-largest industry player accounting for only about 2.0% of industry revenue. As firms in the industry continue to consolidate operations over the next five years, industry concentration is expected to increase. However, the industry will always likely remain at a moderately concentrated level due to regulator antitrust concerns... purchase to read more

 


Industry ProductsRelated ReportsTable of Contents

What is the Institutional Pharmacies Industry?

This industry comprises pharmacies that provide a range of services to residents of nursing homes, hospitals or hospice environments that do not have an on-site pharmacy. In addition to providing pharmaceuticals, institutional pharmacies also provide consulting services, which include monitoring the control, distribution and administration of drugs and assisting with regulation compliance.

Industry Products
Brand-name pharmaceuticalsClinical servicesGeneric pharmaceuticals
 
Industry Activities
Providing pharmaceuticals for institutional clientsProviding consulting services for institutional clients


View Sample
Quote
Select Clients